Friday, 2 October 2015

Visit to Skipton to Yarndale 2015

Hello everybody 

Well as you may or may not already know I'm hooked on all things yarny - crochet, knitting, yarn dyeing and spinning and so with our holidays being booked earlier this year it gave me a chance to visit Yarndale in Skipton last Saturday.  

Me and mum were up at the crack of dawn so that we could take our time getting there.  What a fab journey on the A59 to Skipton.  Straight route with no fuss or trauma en route like I normally have on a journey to somewhere I've not been before.

We landed in Skipton well before the venue opened.  Having never been before we didn't really know what to expect and boy we weren't disappointed.  What a great venue - the cattle auction centre surrounded by hills and fields and beautiful scenery. 

After a quick cuppa from the outside catering van we joined the queue for prepaid tickets and were soon inside and couldn't wait to see all the stalls (around 180 in all) and all the woolly goodness.  

This display was on the Wool Warehouse stall where they were selling Stylecraft yarns and more importantly the Lucy aka Attic 24 kits to make blankets, bunting and cushions.  If you look at the top of the picture you will be able to have a peek at the new colours that are being released by Stylecraft in a few days time.  There was a competition to launch more colours to add to special DK range and those are the winners!!!  I will definitely be getting my mitts on the limited edition colours.
I couldn't resisting taking a few snaps of the wonderful Alpacas.  Just look at his teeth!!!



And how cute is this angora rabbit.  The owners assured me that the way in which the fur is taken does not harm the bunnies in anyway and there is no cruelty involved like I've heard of in Japan etcetera.

These coloured flowers have all been crocheted and knitted by volunteers and placed in colour themes and on walls for all to see.  They had been made for the Alzhiemers Society and raised quite a bit of money on the day from collections.


These Mandalas had been made by volunteers too from last year's Yarndale.

The local park was a feast for the woolly eyes too with lamp posts and trees and gates covered in crochet and knitting and bunting too.  The lovely Lucy from Attic 24 spent a good few hours painstakingly putting all the yarn bombing up.


Onto my purchases:

A book of sock knitting patterns from Coop Knits.  I've only ever made plain socks from self striping yarn and I would like to be more adventurous with patterns etcetera so when I saw this book it really appealed to me.  Watch this space for my sock knitting adventures.


I bought a 3mm polymer clay hook, a Wip-O-Pedia to log all my makes and information about sock sizes and stitch count etc, a 4mm polymer clay hook, some hand dyed yarn and a Harp Angel scarf pattern.



My new WIP crochet bag from the Knitting Goddess and my collection of crochet and knitting badges has started !!


So printable photofabric that I'm going to use for an upcoming project, a copy of Inside Crochet magazine, some sparkly blue cotton and some Soak for use in my woolly projects before I block them.  It smells divine.

Some great hand dyed yarn by Five Moons that I'm not sure whether to knit socks or something else with.


Some more hand dyed yarns by Cuddlebums.  The pastel colours were my mum's favourite so I'm going to make her something with that skein.


We had such a wonderful day.  We meandered around all the stalls and took our time and had copius amounts of tea and coffee in between while we rested and took in the scenery of Skipton.  After a walk in the park to have a look at the yarn bombing we made our way back home and had a delightful journey home as well.

We can't wait to do it all again next year.

Take care
Tanya xx


No comments: