Skip to main content


Showing posts from August, 2014

Dyeing Yarn Part Three

Morning folks.

The weather is looking a bit iffy while I write this blog post but it may clear up later on just like it did last weekend.

Anyway, it's been a few weeks since I did any blog posts about my dyeing yarn experiments so I thought I'd give u a bit of an update and share a couple more with you that I did a few weeks ago when the weather was warm enough to get the yarn dry.

When I was looking through my extensive yarn stash I found this Patons Fairytale Dreamtime 3ply yarn that I had bought for a project many moons ago and so I decided as it was 100% wool it would be just perfect.  First off all I caked it up into little parcels and then soaked in water.

Once I thought it had soaked for long enough I boiled some water and white vinegar in an old pan and once it was simmering I then immersed the four caked balls of yarn into the dye bath which I'd added navy blue food colouring to it.

I then left them soaking in the dye bath until they had cooled down and the yarn h…

Dyeing Yarn Part Two

Good evening everybody
I'm just popping on to show you pictures of another yarn dyeing experiment which I'm oh so very pleased with.  For my birthday I received two balls of the most scrumptiously soft Wendy 4ply Merino Yarn which I thought would be ideal to dye. So as I normally do I wound the balls into skeins using my winder and then soaked the yarn in some warm water for an hour and then I mixed water and a little white vinegar in a pan and brought it to a simmer.  I then added some Dr Oetker food dye in Hot Pink (the same make I used in my last experiment). And then submerged the skeins of yarn into the pan and left them with the heat turned off until the dye had been soaked up and the water ran clear.  Once the yarn had cooled I then rinsed it off with some washing up liquid and water in the sink and pegged it out to drip dry.  And wow what an amazing colour 

I have called it my summer rose yarn as the colours are so like the rose in our garden. 
I now need to find an e…

My Finished Pebble Beach Shawlette

A few weeks ago there was a yarn event held at Brighton called Unwind. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go but followed the event via Twitter and Instagram and drooled over the yarns and woolly goods. 
A competition was held for designers and the winner was Helen from Curious Handmade with her beautiful Pebble Beach Shawlette pattern. Her winning entry was published in the Unwind brochure and also on Ravelry. 
I couldn't wait to buy the pattern and download it as it's such a beautiful design. I then realised it was a KAL project (knit along) and I'd never done one of these before so I dipped my toe and loved every minute. The aim was to knit so much week by week and finish before the 10th to enter Helen's competition. 
Well I finished it ahead of schedule and managed to take photos too. I also added beads to the Shawlette for a little bit of sparkle. I used to different shades of Aracuania yarn in toning greens and have enough left from the balls to make another one in …

Dyeing Yarn Part One

Hello everyone 
You may remember that I posted about going to Woolfest in June and that I bought some undyed yarn. 
Well for the past few weeks I've been experimenting with different dyeing methods. 
For the first dyeing experiment I'm going to share with you I used the yarn I bought from DT Craft & Design which is a 75% superwash merino/20% nylon/5% silver stellina 4 ply sock yarn. It's so soft and very sparkly in the right light. 
I used some food colouring in purple, orange, blue and green. I knew from the start that they weren't going to be very strong and as I wanted to create something pastel coloured it was ideal. 
I soaked my yarn in some lukewarm water for an hour and whilst waiting I mixed the four dyes with some water and a bit of white vinegar (this provides the citric acid that binds the colour to the yarn when heat is added). 
I then squeezed the excess water from the yarn and then dipped it into the four colours leaving some yarn resting in between.…

August Christmas Fun

Hello everybody

Can you believe we're into August already!!!!

I don't know where this year has gone but I'm forging ahead with my Christmas card making and will have a website fully stocked with my monthly makes at the end of this month.

This month my make is a beautiful easel style card using one of the La Pashe CDs.

The ingredients I have used to make this card are:

2 decoupage sheets printed from The Best of La Pashe Best of 2012 CD 1 (Once upon a Christmas time called Vintage Bridge)Pinflair Glue used to put the decoupage togetherCraftwork easel style cardHolly background paper from The Best of La Pashe Best of 2012 CD Cosmic Shimmer Glitter Glue called Cosmic TwinklesGlossy Accents used on the lamp lights