Skip to main content

Weekend Away at WoolFest 2014

Hello everyone and welcome to a new week

Just blogging today about my trip to the Lake District and Woolfest 2014 at Cockermouth last weekend.
Word of warning though, the post is very picture heavy.  

Last year me and a friend went for one day only and then travelled back home, but we had such a good time that this year we decided to go for the whole weekend and take in a few sights too of the Lakes.

We kicked the day off with breakfast at 9am at Tebay Services.  And unlike last year it wasn't raining.  The ducks and birds were frolicking around in the water.

.
Woolfest doors opened at 10.00am but we arrived there slightly after this so we didn't have to wait in the queue outside.  The clouds looked very bad in this picture but the weather was quite warm


Once in there we had a good look round and admired a bit of the livestock around including the lovely Angora rabbits.




and the Cashmere Goats


and of course the Alpacas


and the award winning Jacob sheep

and these lovely little fellas (whose breed has escaped me)


but I do know that the chaps below on the top left are the Lake District sheep called Herdwicks
Once we'd had a look around the stalls and ooh'd and ahh'd at many many lovely things we went off to watch and listen to the sheep talk in the main ring and then we went back to the stalls.

I've wanted to have a go at Tunisian Crochet for a while now and so bought a book about the different type of stitches and plan on working my way through the book from the start to finish and making a few projects on the way.

Last year I bought a drop spindle and couldn't really get to grips with the spinning mularkey but didn't want to give up so when I saw these lovely resin spindles by Spin City I couldn't resist.  Glitter and butterflies - what's not to like.  After a quick run through from Louise of Spin City I got to grips with spinning and bought some fibres to have a go.  I will be blogging about my escapades with the drop spindle throughout the year.


We moved onto another stall then called Laal Bear and I bought a kit to knit some lovely fingerless gloves which incorporate beads and will be getting to grips with them when I have finished a couple of other projects which are on my needles and hooks.  Gorgeous hand dyed yarn and lovely blue beads, together with a set of DPNs and lovely knit stitch markers and a teeny tiny hook to use for putting the beads onto the yarn made this a great buy.


I bought some lovely hooks and a pair of needles all Knit Pro.  The pink crochet hooks fit the screw on cables I have with my needle set I already have and I haven't tried the Knit Pro hooks before so I thought I would give the 3.5mm one a whirl when I make some 4ply crocheted socks later in the year.  The needles are 2.75mm and are from the Knit Pro Karbonz range.  I've already given them a whirl and they are so light and fab and feel great to hold and the yarn glides on them with no problems at all.


This is the fibre I bought to spin on my drop spindle.  It is lovely and soft merino and the colours are so vibrant too.  Will keep you posted on my spinning exploits.

Last year I had my first go at dyeing some yarn using Kool Aid and so I went back to the same stall (DT Crafts) to purchase some more, this time with little silver sparkles in.  I also bought a blank sock canvas that I'm looking forward to having a go at dyeing, again using Kool Aid.  The blank canvas has been knitted already and once dyed should produce two identical 50gm balls of yarn that I'm going to crochet into a pair of socks.  The Kool Aids are in purple, red and blue colours so I'm hoping they will be bright.  I do know that they sell the Kool Aid range at Tesco and have some already in my stash to add to that I bought at Woolfest.

When I was browsing another stall I came across this lovely 4ply Araucania yarn called Ranco in shades of blue and green. (made in Chile) 
I'm not sure what I'm going to make with it yet but it's so soft that it will be a delight to either crochet or knit with.


My favourite stall had to be the Susan Crawford Vintage one, especially after seeing her lovely garment samples last year.  I had the A Stitch In Time Volume 2 bought for me last year for my birthday and had earmarked a project of a vintage 1930's short sleeved jumper and so bought the yarn to make it in the shade 'Powdered Egg.'


and it came in a lovely bag too.
I've now ordered the A Stitch In Time volume 1 and so when this has been delivered I will be choosing my next knitting project.  I've already made a start on making a garment from volume 2 and will be blogging about it very soon.  The pattern is really easy to follow and the yarn an absolute dream to knit with.


While browsing the many many stalls I came across these two items on display.


On the Friday night we made our way back from Cockermouth down the motorway to Whitbarrow and we stayed at Seasons, a lovely little hotel/timeshare place.  We booked  deluxe suite which was part of the hotel accommodation situated amongst cottages and houses.  It had a swimming pool, gym and a restaurant and bar but as the room we booked had a tv, wifi and a lovely place to chill out we just made a cuppa and settled down in front of the tv as we had eaten en route at a lovely little pub and we had walked our legs off all day looking at the array of stalls.







Day two came and the sun was shining still and we made our way up to Carlisle and had a cuppa at Linton's and then went back to Cockermouth for Woolfest.  We browsed and chatted with likeminded folk again and then made our way to Keswick where we had a browse in the shops and a bag of chips and a look round the market and then got back in the car and headed back off to Tebay services where we had a much needed cuppa and a look at the birds and ducks again and then headed off home to Lancashire.


We had such a fab time and are already looking forward to going again next year.  

Thanks for reading the blog and looking at the array of photos.

Take care
Tanya x 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yarn Dyeing

Hello everybody

Well I haven't done any yarn dyeing since the end of last summer and forgot about a lot of the stuff that I'd dyed, but since I've been working hard on revamping my craft room to organise it so it's more art and painting friendly, I've come across them all and as I hadn't shared any photos with you of my  dyeing for a while I thought I'd share them.

First up was a blank canvas knitted base that I bought as long ago as June 2015 from Woolfest.  The canvas is a long knitted piece of fabric with two separate ends so that you can dye it however you choose and then unravel it to make two identical balls of yarn.  I used a length of cling film on top of the work top and used Kool Aid to dye the canvas and then wrapped it up in cling film and put it in the microwave.  Once it had cooled I then rinsed it and popped it outdoors on the line to dry and then once dry I unravelled it into two equal and identical balls which are now waiting in my stash r…

It's Digi Choosday Day - Week 4 - In Bloom

Hello everybody             
It’s Digi Choosday day again. These Tuesdays definitely come round really fast!!
Hope you’re ready to enter another Digi Choosday Challenge.
This week our challenge is  ‘IN BLOOM’.
I love searching the internet for new things to make and also getting inspiration and as soon as I saw the craze for making teacup art I instantly knew that this week’s challenge would fit this project perfectly.  I had a teacup that had a wonderful soy candle in it and was wondering what I could make with the empty cup.  Here is a step by step picture tutorial of my make (with the exception of one ingredient which is magic and you'll have to scroll to the bottom of my blog post to find out what it is).  I resized and printed some of the flowers from the Eden Collection and put them to one side.  I gathered my ingredients...  cup and saucer, bird cage, toadstools and reindeer moss and then using the magic ingredient started to assemble my make.

I then added the flowers and…

Long time no post....

Hello everyone

Well I know I've not blogged for months and months, but I've been really busy and have been making the most of other social media platforms to chat with happy crafters and the like. 

But I'm back now and hopefully I should get to blogging maybe once a week or a couple of times a month.....who knows. 

Let me tell you what I've been up to whilst I've been absent from blogland.

Well:

1.  I had a big birthday in the summer and got a wonderful birthday present of a Townie bike and so spent every spare moment during the spring and summer (cos I got my present a little earlier than expected) taking in parks and other beautiful places and getting some fresh air and exercise and loved every minute of it.  But now that the nights are now darker earlier and winter is setting in I'm not able to get out and so she's been put to bed for a few months until the clocks go forward and the light nights come back.  So....hurry up winter and do one!!!

2.  Just…